Mattiaci Golden Retrievers

Posted : 4 Oct ,2017 by

On October 1, 2016 I picked up a Golden Retriever puppy from Florence Josephs in Bozeman, Montana. I had bought a Golden puppy from her years earlier that I dearly loved; when he died I contacted her again for another puppy. Sadly the puppy I brought home had multiple health issues; he had a heart murmur, constant diarrhea and as I was to find out after a thousand dollars of testing a liver shunt. When I asked her if this litter had been seen by a vet before she placed them up for adoption she said no. I don't know what criteria she uses for determining which litter gets examined because I know other litters had been looked at by a veterinarian. Anyway, when I notified her that my puppy had been diagnosed with an intrahepatic liver shunt she said "I'm so sorry" and I never heard another word from her. If I was a dog breeder and someone told me that one of my puppies was this sick I would have offered a total refund ($1850.00) or given them a free puppy. Instead I think Florence just hoped I was wrong about the diagnosis or that I would just disappear. I never heard another word from her. At this point I have spent $20,000 saving this dog's life; I refinanced my home and took him to UC Davis for a coil procedure which is only done in four veterinary hospitals around the country. I am cautiously optimistic that he will live a normal life. I emailed Florence after UC Davis when I felt I had a pretty idea that my dog would survive, she came back incredibly incensed that I may have impugned her reputation. Really? I would be very cautious about using this breeder. Also, I would not have returned my puppy to her because he likely would have been euthanized, but I would have liked for her to reach out with some sort of concern and offer to help make things right.

This complaint has been visited 530 times since it was published.

Jan 11, 2018 By     larchtct

Attitude : Agree

We purchased two Golden Retrievers from Florence Josephs at Mattiaci Goldens in 2008, both wonderful family pets who are and were dearly loved. The male suffered through many health issues during the last three years of his life including joint problems requiring two separate ACL repairs. He then developed malignant osteosarcoma on his front leg which required tumor removal, shortly after he was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the eye requiring it's removal. Several months after his eye surgery, he finally succumbed to a combination of said cancers including lymphoma. The female dog has suffered from severe hip dysplasia for many years and is full of large benign tumors. Fully understanding that cancers are common among the Golden Retriever breed and not specific to Mattiacci Golden Retrievers, I reached out to Florence Josephs believing that a reputable breeder would be interested in the health issues from her previous litters for her own record keeping however, her response was appalling. Hoping for a simple acknowledgement of sharing possibly important information regarding her previous litters, she instead insulted my intelligence about the Golden Retriever breed and the Mattiacci reputation culminating in a "NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN". Unbelievable, never even an, "I'm sorry for the loss of your pet" or "thank you for sharing your experience". For someone advertising puppies for loving family homes, I would have assumed that Florence would also have a compassionate heart. Turns out, I was wrong again.

I believe that when you are buying a pet whom you intend to love as a family member as we did, your breeder should be supportive and approachable when voicing particular concerns, questions or comments specific to their litters as they have an investment in the product that they are selling for large sums. Florence Josephs is extremely defensive and unprofessional and based on the overwhelming reviews that I l am finding all over the internet doesn't exactly maintain the reputation that she want's you to believe she does.

Buyer Beware!

Had an experience with Mattiaci Golden Retrievers?