Mattiaci Golden Retrievers

Posted : 4 Oct ,2017 by

On October 1, 2016 I picked up a Golden Retriever puppy from Florence Josephs in Bozeman, Montana. I had bought a Golden puppy from her years earlier that I dearly loved; when he died I contacted her again for another puppy. Sadly the puppy I brought home had multiple health issues; he had a heart murmur, constant diarrhea and as I was to find out after a thousand dollars of testing a liver shunt. When I asked her if this litter had been seen by a vet before she placed them up for adoption she said no. I don't know what criteria she uses for determining which litter gets examined because I know other litters had been looked at by a veterinarian. Anyway, when I notified her that my puppy had been diagnosed with an intrahepatic liver shunt she said "I'm so sorry" and I never heard another word from her. If I was a dog breeder and someone told me that one of my puppies was this sick I would have offered a total refund ($1850.00) or given them a free puppy. Instead I think Florence just hoped I was wrong about the diagnosis or that I would just disappear. I never heard another word from her. At this point I have spent $20,000 saving this dog's life; I refinanced my home and took him to UC Davis for a coil procedure which is only done in four veterinary hospitals around the country. I am cautiously optimistic that he will live a normal life. I emailed Florence after UC Davis when I felt I had a pretty idea that my dog would survive, she came back incredibly incensed that I may have impugned her reputation. Really? I would be very cautious about using this breeder. Also, I would not have returned my puppy to her because he likely would have been euthanized, but I would have liked for her to reach out with some sort of concern and offer to help make things right.

This complaint has been visited 338 times since it was published.

Comments

Had an experience with Mattiaci Golden Retrievers?